Tuesday, September 11, 2012

{Playing Through Autumn Day 4} Autumn Sensory Bottles

For anyone who has spent any time on this blog, it's no secret that I am a huge fan of sensory play. I love it in bins, bathtubs, wherever I can find a space for it. I'm also especially fond of portable sensory experiences, so I frequently find myself creating sensory bottles both for L and for the students in my class. I can't let September pass me by without making some fall themed sensory bottles, and this year I felt they turned out beautifully!


Bottle 1 (left): For the first bottle, I used white rice. I filled it with buttons, small figures, and embellishments in fall colors and shapes. When you give the bottle a turn, you find all sort of pumpkins, scarecrows, and squirrels peeking out at you. I found all of the small pieces in the button section at Hobby Lobby.

Bottle 2 (center): For the second bottle, I simply filled it with clear water and autumn leaf party confetti (also found at Hobby Lobby). The confetti swirls beautifully in the water and the reflection of all those different pieces creates the effect of gorgeous, golden water.

Bottle 3 (right): For the final bottle, I used small silk leaves along with miniature pumpkins, gourds, and pine cones. This one is a treat for both the eyes and the ears!

I chose these three bottles in particular because I wanted to present L with a variety of different fall objects and textures. Other great ideas for autumn sensory bottle fillers include acorns, sunflower seeds, small sticks, unpopped popcorn, bird seed, and straw. What would you add to the list?

9 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I have a 4 year old at home this year, and I am going to try this with her. Thanks so much for linking up to tip toe thru tuesday. I hope we see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cool. I have done a lot of sensory bins, but never a sensory bottle. I especially like how they are all about fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely way to explore Autumn :-) I love the colours. Thanks for sharing at Happy Family Times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love sensory bottle, what fun to make them for the fall. Going to share on Fb and pin as one of my finds this week on the kids co-op. Thanks for sharing, Jaime@FSPDT
    http://frogsandsnailsandpuppydogtails-jaime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful! i love sensory bottles. the one on the left sounds interesting! i'd love to see all the little goodies you found to put in there! once my son reached toddlerhood, i stopped making them. you may have just given me the motivation to do some again! thanks so much for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this wonderful post with the Weekly Kid's Co-op. I'm Pauline and I blog over at http://lessonslearntjournal.com. I will feature this post as part of my roundup of this week's linky party and also pin a picture from your post onto our very popular Weekly Kids' Co-op Pinterest board :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely way to explore Autumn. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete