Monday, August 20, 2012

Car Wheel Paint Prints

During my many years in the early childhood field, I've seen and done some pretty amazing art projects with wee ones. One of my all time faves is one of the simpler things I've tried: painting with the wheels of toy vehicles. L has had a big interest in vehicles for the past several months, so I decided to rustle up a big piece of cardboard for a canvas and let her give it a try.


I put some paint into a pie tin and with just one quick model to show L how the thing was done, she was off and running (driving?) and making some really visually interesting art in the process.


She did a pretty fantastic job of covering the entire piece of cardboard with the wheel prints, and I now have a pretty bitchin' piece of artwork that I plan to frame (seriously!) and hang in our living room.


What unconventional art tools have your kiddos tried?


11 comments:

  1. I love this idea. I will have to try it with the babies who all love the toy cars. Your daughter's painting came out great! Thank you for linking to Artsy Play Wednesday on Capri + 3. I always enjoy your posts.

    : 0 ) Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. we love using unconventional items to paint with! they make it much more interesting. thanks for linking this up to tip-toe thru tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my son loves painting with vehicles but i see you are slightly more sensible than me and keep it to just a few colours - Goblin's tend to go brown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I do try to use colors that blend well, I love a good primary-to-secondary paint blob!

      Delete
  4. I'm featuring this on Hey Mom, Look What I Did at Adventures In Mommy Land this week...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how fun!! Thank you for sharing at Happy Family Times!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Audi Remaps recently remapped 2 identical Range Rover Evoques which had 500 miles on the clock each and were unmodified. Both vehicles were identical with matching quoted factory power figures of 150PS, one vehicle showed 158PS on the dyno and the other 146PS proving that there’s no guarantee of the original factory state of tune of your vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice blog. I have been researching auto painting since my Honda Civic proved to have defective factory paint. I stumbled upon your blog, nice break. No, Honda would not stand by their warranty. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every paint job starts with the preparation of the car's surface. Sand the car down with a dual action sander and 80 grit sandpaper. Clean it off and then use masking tape and paper to cover any parts of the car that won't be painted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Use automotive-safe products in cleaning tires or wheels or the entire car.Other products may have some ingredients that can cause damage to the parts or accessories.

    phenolic wheels & floor locks

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful art on wheel by beautiful angle. Thanks for sharing it. Jarvis Caster & Rubber Wheel

    ReplyDelete