Monday, August 13, 2012

Imaginative Play with Sensory Bins: Pretend Food

At this point it should be very clear that I LOVE sensory bins. Love, love, love 'em! They are like magic - fill them up with even the simplest of materials and you can get kids engaged and playing for hours. Recently L has been very interested in dramatic play, particularly in pretend food and dishes, so I decided to make a new sensory bin inspired by this love. And it was so easy, which is just my style!


I filled up our bin with uncooked, uncolored pasta, in keeping with the food theme. (If you are more inclined to colored pasta, you can find the method here.) Then I added in some of L's pretend food and voila! Instant sensory bin full of something of interest and just right for prompting lots of pretend play.


L got to work exploring immediately and was soon busy "cooking" up food in her new bin. She even grabbed her play dishes (but of course!) and before long I was in for a feast!


The best thing about this particular sensory bin was really that it took about two minutes to put together and incorporated something that is already on L's radar - which made it the perfect activity for engaging my busy little gal.

What areas of play are your kids digging these days?

5 comments:

  1. I'm following you on Twitter now. Love your photos and sensory bin. Came over from Tuesday Tots Linky Party. Great blog you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!!!
    Thanks for sharing with my Super Link Party! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm featuring this on Hey Mom, Look What I Did at Adventures In Mommy Land...thanks for sharing, hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a great idea!! i love incorporating items that are a bit unconventional! thanks for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday!

    ReplyDelete